Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The Good and The Bad

Going abroad requires a lot of adjustment, no matter if it is a short vacation or a long trip. Food, languages, transportation, and cultural differences just to name a few. Being in a place that is so different (as this is my first time in Asia), and for an extended time (this is the longest I have been in a different country) some things have been easier to adjust to than others.

The Bad.
And by bad I don't mean things I hate, or the worst things in life; just some simple dislikes or annoyances I've encountered that are different here than in any place I've been. Some simple, and others a little more complex.

My hair. Nothing I try to do with my hair works. Straightening it, curling it. I guess that's just the humidity, which I have experienced before, but it's just become an extra nuisance. It's like my hair is wavy, but too frizzy to wave properly, and therefore randomly poofy and everywhere. I am really considering chemically straightening it!

The garbage trucks. Everyone knows about the ice cream man in the U.S. You're friendly neighborhood family driving around playing a nice jingle to excite children with the thought of a tasty treat. Well here, there aren't any ice cream men - only garbage trucks that play the same tune over and over again at incredibly early times in the morning while picking up the trash. Friends and I have speculated that maybe it is to alert other cars that the truck has stopped on the street. Either way, the tune will forever fester in my mind.

Dorm living. This is my first experience living in a dorm, and it can be challenging. I have all emotions about being in a room with three other people, stacked on top of each other in bunk beds. I think they are amazing people, and there is so much to learn from being so close with them. On the other hand it is hard. Everyone has different sleep rhythms, shower times, class times, and tidiness habits. Being in such close proximity can be overwhelming - yet what a great support system and communication experience. This should be under the "good" list too!😄

Walking. Of all the things to get used to, walking everywhere is another (welcome) challenge, haha. I guess I didn't realize how lazy I was before, or maybe it's just that my home state requires you to drive everywhere because of the long distances. I get tired and sometimes dread the walk, and also wish for instant teleportation. The other fact is that I am sweating a lot in this heat and humidity, which will only get worse, and I feel kind of gross after walking a lot, haha. Regardless, it is becoming more normal, and I think of it as hiking practice! Plus, I need all the exercise I can get with all this tasty food!

The Good.
So many things are "good" here! I feel so blessed to have this opportunity every time I walk out my door. And am really enjoying everything, even things from the "bad" list above. Here are a few weird things I wanted to share that I am enjoying!

Claw machines. As a kid everyone has memories at random places of them begging their parents for a quarter or two to put into the machine to see if the mechanical claw could grab a stuffed animal. Here there are claw machines on every block, open 24/7, with 25+ machines inside! It is fun and enjoyable to go sweat a little as you try to position the metal claw just right to hopefully get a stuffed animal, backpack, keychain, hat, or any other assortment of random stuff inside.

Dumplings. Haven't I already mentioned dumplings before?! So good. I can't get enough of them. Every flavor, cooked every way, and in every shape! And did I mention how good they were?! 😉 I highly recommend them. Come to Taiwan just for the dumplings! 

The buses. Convenience mixed with a cheap fare, I can't complain. The bus system here can take you anywhere on the island. And you pay with the same easy card for each of them. They may be crowded, and not quite all of them have air conditioning, but I appreciate the ease it provides in getting around in a place where I can't drive.

By no means is this the same for everyone! Some of my friends here have really been struggling with missing their family and friends, while that isn't a huge issue for me (yet haha). I am definitely beginning to see that collectively as a group of students study abroad there is a lot of camaraderie, as we are all in the same situation together. We are all here to support each other and be supported. It's kind of like summer camp, but we aren't kids anymore, haha. It's a huge learning experience in patience, respect, and self realization. I highly recommend trying to go abroad. No it's not always easy, but you come out stronger in the end. It's great. 😊

And now here are some pictures of places I have been to this past couple weeks and, oh ya, some food!! I think I did more eating this week than anything else, haha.😄
Some Dumplings

Hot dog fried with fries... yes it's a thing!

A delicious montage of mystery 

Miso Pho soup mix

Wax Apples

At the National Museum of Natural Science
They also had animatronic dinosaurs too... so cool!

At the National Museum of Natural Science

At the National Museum of Natural Science

At the National Museum of Natural Science

Sushi conveyor belt at Sushi Express

Hot and Sour Soup

Fountains at my university
Mud Skipper At Gaomei Wetlands
Gaomei Wetlands

More dumplings

Very old temple in Lukang

Temple in Lukang

Temple in Lukang

The statues of gods inside temple

Temple pond with koi fish and turtles 

Market in Lukang

Lion face painting

Larger temple in Lukang

Hot dog wrapped with egg in honey mustard sauce
It's better than you think!
 

Tan Yuan... hot gooey rice balls
filled with seaseme and peanuts
on a bed of ice with a sweet syrup

Fried Chicken under fresh greens and cheese sauce

Custard filled pastry with bruleed sugar

Traditional hot dog with greens on a rice bun

Strawberries covered in hardened sugar

Crabs

Taiwanese burger:
bacon, cabbage, sour relish, peanuts, and parsley

Also, I am officially sick. Just a cold, but I feel pretty bland. It seems like all of us international students are passing it around. I am definitely thankful that I haven't dealt with any jet lag or food related illnesses... I can settle for a cold!


Here's to getting better in all aspects,
Ayla