Monday, February 4, 2019

T-7 Days


Currently, I am wrapped in a blanket watching slight snowflakes dust the ground, as winter in my home state of Montana progresses. I keep thinking about how different the climate and weather in my new temporary home will be (and how happy I am to flee the rest of winter). So far, research has been a huge part of my preparation. Besides "sort of" knowing where the country was located, and "sort of" knowing that a lot of industrial items were made there, I really knew nothing of Taiwan. Because of my naïvety, or just lack of knowledge, I started to dig into what my home-away-from-home would be like. Culture, climate, customs, politics, diet, things to do, other travel blogs (this is where the reports that were mandatory in grade school have a practical application😎); and I really began to feel more comfortable and felt like I could prepare more as my research went on. 

Here is a brief summary of my research: Taiwan is technically under the Republic of China, but claims its independence. They speak mostly Mandarin. Rice, pork, seafood, and noodles are main food staples. You don't gift items in multiples of 4, because they associate that number with death. They have a Confucian community based on "saving face," kind of similar to not losing your temper. The toilet paper is usually not in the stall with you, so grab it before you do the deed. Also, for all you ladies, tampons are scarce. Taiwan is humid, but doesn't usually get below 45-90℉ (8-35℃). Tsunamis can happen but are rare; small earthquakes are more common. The island is very industrial and modern, but does have beaches and national parks. AND Taiwan has a speed rail, which I am so excited to try out! 

  
✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Now where was I trying to go with this post, ah yes, the journey of signing up to study abroad! Whew, these last six months have been such a rollercoaster it feels like a lifetime has passed. There has been a plethora of applications, signatures, and credit card numbers. But lets go wayyyy back. My earliest records indicate (as of my earliest email haha) that it was roughly September 27, 2017, about a year and a half ago, when I first reached out to my international coordinator at my college to ask questions about possibly leaving the country for a semester. It had been a long time coming, as I had been toying with the idea for a while, but finally took the plunge to ask some questions. After that, I didn't think much about it or take it too seriously because I didn't think I would be in college long enough to take advantage of the opportunity. A few months later, I finished that academic year and walked at graduation with a double bachelors in computer science and chemistry, and a minor in physics, knowing that I had one more class to finish for a mathematics minor.

I just figured I would take a fifth year to finish that class up; after all, I mean, why not? It happened to work out that being a full time student with scholarships to help with tuition was better than just paying for the single class. OK- I was cool with that! But, what would I do with that extra spring semester that I didn't really need? I thought, "I had accepted a job, I could start that. Or I could apply for another internship. or... Or... OR I could study abroad!" Exciting! Well crap, will I have the money? That was my main concern, and I hadn't particularly been saving. Budgeting and financially addressing my profit/loss ratio would cause me to become extra frugal in the following six months after I committed and applied. But, nevertheless, the thought manifested itself and grew larger and larger in my mind.

It seemed pretty simple - the process. You apply. You get accepted. You buy a ticket. You go. At least that's what I thought. Haha. Yes, those are the very oversimplified steps, as I soon came to find out. So, I decided to do it. I started the application roughly a week before the due date, and finally hit submit button the very day it was due*. I DID IT! What a rush! It was happening. Now, it was just a matter of really figuring out what I was getting myself into.

The pre-adventure continues next time! 
Till then,
Ayla 

*The exchange program I applied and went through is called International Student Exchange Programs (ISEP), as per talking with my study abroad advisor at my college. There are other programs out there too! It is just a matter of choosing which program is right for the experience you're looking for. You can never ask enough questions!